Avalon Sunset Candles : Candle Culture
Made in Canada 100% Pure Bees Wax
Paraffin Ingredients ...things you should know
- Many commercial candles are made from paraffin, the grayish-black sludge that oozes from the backside of the petroleum refineries. It's bleached, textured with a carcinogenic product called acrolyn, chemically coloured and artificially scented.
What about the wick? ...Not something you would want burning inches from you...
- Health Canada is urging the Canadian candle industry to stop manufacturing and importing candles with lead and zinc core wicks. They are hazardous to human health - even in small amounts. Some candle makers use lead and zinc cores to make the wicks rigid.
Lighten Up ...there is hope.
- Avalon Sunset's all natural beeswax candles are hand-crafted from 100% Pure Canadian Beeswax, harvested from the lush wildflower fields bordering the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Alfalfa clover gives our beeswax a country goodness and sweet, rich honey fragrance. We use a natural cotton wick - no metallic cores.
Beeswax Ingredients ...Mother Nature's perfect fuel.
- Legend has it that bees were offered to the Earth by the Venus, the Roman Goddess of Love, to teach humankind how to use and respect Nature. Beeswax is a remarkable natural substance that cannot be imitated. It is a by-product of honey, which originates in flowers and is made by the youngest honeybees in the colony. The flower nectar is placed in the honeycomb's individual cells and when one cell is full, the bees place a wax cap over the honey for storage.
Beeswax Facts ...Beeswax actually cleans the air!
- Beeswax candles produce negative ions that attract positive ions. But, positive ions aren't so positive. They're the pollutants such as dust, odours, toxins, pollen, mold, bacteria, and viruses that are floating in the air. Beeswax neutralizes the pollutants and the simply fall to the ground. The dustier your home, the more "black debris" you'll find deposited in the wax around the wick.
- Burning a beeswax candle in the bedroom for a half hour before sleep helps produce a more restful sleep.
- Beeswax is a safe, valuable fuel - one of the purest known - and it burns slower and cleaner than paraffin, therefore it's cheaper to use.
- Beeswax is virtually smokeless and dripless when used properly (see below).
- Beeswax burns with a golden halo and is significantly hotter than paraffin.
- Please Note: candles listing beeswax as an ingredient may contain as little as 30% beeswax. If it doesn't state on the label "100% pure beeswax" it probably isn't.
Beeswax Candle Etiquette...Let there BEE light!
- Quicker Lighting! Light your candles at an angle at the base of the wick.
- Trim the Wick! Keep the wick trimmed at 1/4 inch to prevent wick from smoking and to extend burn time.
- Longer Life! Push the sidewalls into the liquid wax pool to raise the level of the wax. Be careful not to over push - it will cause wax leakage and smoulder the wick. This prevents "hollowing" of the candle and prevents the incidents of a weaken of the walls of the candles which may cause a hole to open and wax to leak out of side of candle. Best to push in the walls after the wax has slightly cooled off.
- Dunk it! Instead of blowing out your beeswax candles, extinguish it by "dunking" the wick into the melted wax. Don't forget to flip it back up! This way, you'll have a smokeless wick that is easier to light the next time.
- Keep Burning! For 3" diameter pillar candles or larger, burn for 2 hours the first time and at least every 3rd or 4th burn to establish a nice "melt pool" and ensure optimal burning time for the life of your candle. Your candle may develop a tendency to burn down the middle and not out to the sides if it is not burned long enough each time.
- Dodge the Draft! We suggest to not burn candles near windows, vents, fans, fireplaces and heaters. Air drafts may cause an uneven burn resulting in a slope on one side which could create excess dripping of wax, smoking of flame due to the wax leakage, and cracked glass if flame gets too close to holder.
- Uneven Surfaces! Uneven surfaces will cause the melted wax pool and flame to heat up one side more than the other causing for an uneven burn which will cause for a weakening of one side, which will make a slope and cause the dripping of wax down the candle.
- Hold it! Never place a burning candle (including T-lite with aluminum cup) directly on any surface without correct holder. Use an inflammable dish never place directly on wood or synthetic material. Votives and T-lites are designed to completely liquefy when burning. Remove metal clip once fully burned. With pillar candles placing a plate underneath that is slightly larger will catch any possible spillage due to draft, uneven balance, not pushing in sides after candle has cooled down, bumping candle or blowing out of candle. Suggest also not to leave a candle where it is close to an edge which if there is a incident will not accidentally spill onto furniture or floors.
- Bloem free! Beeswax candles may be stored for long periods of time without deterioration because of the stability of the beeswax. However, over time some of the low melting point components in the wax may migrate to the surface and give the candle a frosty or antiqued appearance. This is called "bloem" and is easily removed by wiping the candle with a cloth or your warm hands.
- Enjoy it! Avalon Sunset's 100% Pure Beeswax Candles, The Natural Choice!
Beeswax Cleaning Tips ...Let there BEE clean up!
- Candle Holders: For excess beeswax in holders, let them sit in HOT water in the sink for at least 1/2 hour. Scoop holders out of the water with plastic gloves or utensil (not to burn hands). Wearing the gloves, using small spoon, scoop any excess warmed wax out and wipe out remainder with paper towel. Afterwards if you are wanting them good as new place in dishwasher for a rinse or wash in warm water in sink with dish soap.
- Rugs or Cloths: Use brown paper bag cut it out place over beeswax on rug or cloth and place your iron (turn to med heat) on the paper bag the heat will absorb the wax into the paper bag. If it is a tablecloth or clothing after you remove all excess wax than the oil from wax will remain therefore prior to placing in washer, place dish detergent in a bowl using an old tooth brush dip detergent on toothbrush and place on spots on the clothes or cloth than scrub in circular motion. Afterwards wash in highest temp that the garment will allow and dry as normal.
- Hard Surfaces: Wait until completely cooled and than peel off of table with small blade or may come off easily with your fingernails be careful not to push blade into table. Use hot wash cloth to wipe away residue.
Postive Experience! If at anytime you are not satisfied with Avalon Sunset's 100% Pure Beeswax Candles, please we want to hear from you as we do not want your last impression of our candles or our service not to be a good one! We will make it right, we appreciate all feedback and we will use your experience to make the changes to improve and we will send you a replacement or a gift candle in return for your feedback!